Marx and Engels developed a theory of women’s oppression over a lifetime, culminating in the publication of The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State in 1884. The book forms basis of Marxist idea about family.
The ideas are indeed shocking and some of the cardinal points of this skewed view of family are:-
1. Private property transformed the relations between men and women within the household only because it also radically changed the political and economic relations in the larger society.
2. The nuclear family: the root of women’s oppression
3. The modern family arose for one purpose only: to pass on private property in the form of inheritance from one generation to the next.
4. A conjugal partnership of leaden boredom, known as ‘domestic bliss.’
5. The modern family contains in germ not only slavery (servitus) but also serfdom, since from the beginning it is related to agricultural services. It contains in miniature all the contradictions which later extend throughout society and its state.