Family related issues are at the forefront of social challenges facing Bengal:
- Women are postponing marriage –Late marriage is ubiquitous
- The birth rate of blue blooded Bengalis is falling even though population is increasing due to migration and itinerant workmen from other states.
- The divorce rate rising-Bengal has one of the highest Divorce rates in India.
- Young men are finding it difficult to attract wives
- The percentage of the elderly is growing rapidly and their care is a major social problem.
The problem is severe among Upper middle class Bengalis.
Bengali Family was once the Bedrock of Bengali Society and the last bastion of the Bhadrolog.
The growth of Feminism and consumerism is responsible for steady erosion of Family in Bengal.
Feminism has, provided a new straight-jacket for a large segment of the young educated females. Trapped by this straight-jacket mentality women are made to feel that unless they pursue a career in the market place, they can’t hold their heads up. Many have become apologetic and meek about the traditional role of wife and mother.
Thus, the role of wife and mother, hallowed and revered for millennia in Bengal, has become demeaned and devalued to the point that many Young women today have rejected marriage and motherhood.
To supplant the centrality of family life is to cause grave peril to the social fabric and to personal fulfillment.
There is an Urgent need to save Bengali family.